Muscle Car Fuel Injection

Tony Bryant Tony.Bryant at psc.fp.co.nz
Mon Sep 15 21:03:09 GMT 1997

> Date:          Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:55:10 -0400
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> From:          Paul Tholey <pft101 at psu.edu>
> Subject:       Muscle Car Fuel Injection

> I have subscribed to the efi listserv and have found little mention of
> muscle car fuel injection.  I am trying to design fuel injection for a 1971
> Duster.  The engine is a 360.  I am working on designing a cross ram
> injection using a custom made sheet metal intake manifold.
>         I am in the beginning stages of this design.  The Corvette cross
> fire injection was my inspiration for this.  The small block chevy and mopar
> both have the same firing order so I was contemplating using a cross fire
> computer.  I have found that most of these cross fire cars ran poorly.  Does
> anyone know why?  Should I gear my design away from a throttle body?  I
> would like to.
>         I am intimidated by most of the postings.  If anyone is
> compassionate enough to lend some guidance I would love to return the favor.
> I am capable of creating any custom sheet metal style aluminum intake manifolds.

For a no welding all-aluminium solution:

I built a plennum chamber by building a frame from 20mm x 20mm x
3mm Alum. angle (L), I mitred the ends of the frame and used sheet
alum. bolted to the frame (tapped holes in the frame) to both hold
the frame together, and provide the walls. Whatever else you do you
need to make sure it wont rip apart under 25"+ of vaccum. Internal
bracing with 3/8" dowels is one idea that worked for me. It still
flexs quite a bit.