Mileage with a Motor Home

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Wed Apr 1 14:57:14 GMT 1998

Alain Toussaint wrote:

> > I like to cruise at around 80 :)   Trouble is, my GW has the aerodynamics
> > of a box.  Ah, well... there's more to life than gas mileage.  Converting
> > to run propane or methane would help, especially since it's so easy to
> > generate your own methane.
>
> could you explain,i'd like to make my own,but i have some concern such as
> the price of generating methane mostly,i want to be able to have a big
> motor and cruise at a fairly high speed without costing much $$$.
>
> Alain Toussaint (alaint at boisfrancs.qc.ca)
Problem with methane is storage density. Best way to store it is
disolved in propane, believe it or not. For many years I had, but seem
to have misplaced, the details of a methane generator, storage, and
conversion system designed and operated by an old friend no longer with
us. Purity of the fuel is also a problem - getting the CO2 out of the
mixture is a big problem, and CO2 is a product of the same reaction that
produces methane. Nitrogen is also produced in quantity. The generation
system is not difficult, but you won't do it in an urban setting. On a
farm with lots of available biomass, it is not a bad proposition for
providing heat, and even running a generator/cogeneration system. For
road vehicle use, unless you can produce it from natural gas (and why
would you want to) it is not real practical.
In the war years, guys ran around with big "bladders" strapped to the
roof of their AustinSevens in England to run on methane - mad dogs and
Englishmen.
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!