4D installation

Michael J. Kupec mkupec at erols.com
Fri Apr 17 01:22:17 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Jones <rmjones at cyberhighway.net>
To: 'diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu' <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Thursday, April 16, 1998 3:54 PM
Subject: 4D installation

>So wadda y'all think?  The 600 cfm carb had a 1" aluminum spacer under it.
> Do I use it w/ the 4D I'm installing?  I've forgotten why the spacer is
>there.  Is it to improve the metering signal to the carb or is it for
>runner tuning, i.e. to lower the rpm at which peak power occurs?  Sheesh.
> Getting old.  My CSH is getting rusty.

Mike,

The way I always understood it, the plate (if it is the 4-hole type) helps
in improving the metering signal(s) in the carb at high RPM. Since you
really don't have any metering signals to worry about with the TBI - you
should be able to leave the plate off and bolt the TBI right to the intake.
If you look at the TBI you'll notice that it really doesn't have a venturi
type shape to it like the carb does, just a straight shot down to the
throtle plates. The vaccum hoses that attach to the TBI do provide the
necessarry vacuum signals to the specific hardware (i.e.: vacuum advance)
but don't need the spacer plate to provide this.

HTH

Michael J. Kupec
mkupec at erols.com

I live with constant fear and danger every day...
    and sometimes she lets me go four-wheeling!

Get in, Sit down, Shut up, and Hold on!

It's a Bronco thing, They wouldn't have a clue!

Management & Data Systems, Lockheed Martin Corporation
Woodbridge, Virginia, USA (703) 680-6903
1970 Bronco w/351W (in a constant state of dissassembly/refinement...)
1964 1/2 260 Convertible  w/PS, PB, & Power Top
1965 289 HP "K" Coupe w/PS, PB, & Pony Int. (Early '65, not a GT)