J-bodies and MAP vs MAF

TBK terryk at foothill.net
Sat Apr 18 01:42:36 GMT 1998

The Mass problem existed for a short period time. The thick (thin?) film
mass got used long into the future. It certainly was easier than replacing
all of the mass sensors. However that problem was in 86-87 I think and the J
cars had the mass well into the 90's.

I prefer mass over map any day of the week.......when it works.....If you
are altering the system, the mass is tons more forgiving.

An example is my X-11. With the mass and a very hot aftermarket cam, the
mass flow is correct at about 6 gm/S at idle and 135 gm/S at 6000 RPM. With
the SD system, it reads the ECM "calculated" 20 gm/s at idle and 255 gm/s
(pegged) at 6000 RPM. I don't think so. A lot of correction to the rom is
needed to get it back into reality. Something not a lot of people can do.

That same SD system on the stock 2.8L/3.1L reads correct. Just the cam alone
throws the system off.

On the other hand, SD is simpler to deal with. I do get your point.

TK