Diacom plus on Pentium laptops

Mike Fahrion mfahrion at bb-elec.com
Tue Aug 4 00:12:35 GMT 1998

>That is weird, as Diacom is not even suspose to link to any
OBD2 cars that I
>know of.  From what Rinda tells me our software as delivered
will not link to
>anything newer than a 1995 OBD1 car.  That is very weird.

Some '96 GM's still support the old ALDL communications on
unused pins of the OBDII connector.  A subset(?) of the J1850
commands are available through these pins, although at a lower
bandwidth than the OBDII bus.  We have some info on this
available on our obdii site at www.obdii.com  - and, if I can
insert a shameless plug, a nice DOS-based OBDII GM scantool.

Some '96 f-bodies have the same dual-bus setup. ALDL appears to
have disappeared by '97.  Also, some '95's support the J1850 bus
in addition to ALDL. Sort of a transition period.

-mike
mfahrion at bb-elec.com

>There are a couple other options that we can do to link up to
OBD2 cars, and
>that is to buy some new diagnostic software from Ease
Simulation. However even
>though it apears to do anything and everything we may want from
this kind of
>software it is very expensive when purchased with the data
logging