programming 101 and checksum

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Aug 10 23:46:15 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: goflo at pacbell.net <goflo at pacbell.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: programming 101 and checksum

>Bruce Plecan wrote:
>
>> The inputs are, intake air temp, coolant emp, MAP, TPS, distributor
>> reference pulse, tranny 4th gear, park neutral switch, vss signal.
>>
>> The coolant temp/intake air temp are easy.
>>
>> Having something that reacts to TPS is another matter.
>>   MAP is high, engine off, and then drops at engine run.
>>   MAP varies with little with TPS,
>>   High rpm, MAP is almost atmospheric like at start up.
>>
>> At 40 mph low tps have a 4th gear engaged signal, so ecm can
>>   apply TCC.
>>
>> Would be nice to introduce an engine miss option at idle to see
>> what the ecm does about it.
>>
>> Having O2 feedback would be a nice option.  Sudden change in
>> pulse width high O2.

>Intake air temp:  What is the range of the sensor?

-40dC to 100dC    100,700ohms at -40, to 185 ohms at 100dC

>                  Is tempco positive or negative?
>                  IOW, does resistance go up or down
>                  as temp goes up?

Resistance goes down as temp goes up

>                  What voltage does the ECU apply to
>                  the sensor? (Disconnect the sensor
>                  and measure across the ECU terminals.)

5v

>Coolant temp:     Likewise.

Exactly the same as Intake air

>MAP:              0-5V, 1 bar is 5V approx. Correct?

Engine off 4.9ish, idle like 2+, WOT slightly less than key on engine off

>TPS:              0-5V, throttle closed to WOT. Yes?

In general .5v at idle, 4.8 WOT fine.

>Dist. ref pulse:  How many pulses per rev?

v-8, 4   v-6, 3

>                  Amplitude? (5V?)

I've been using the voltage drop across a LED to the module as
the rpm signal.

>                  When does it occur? (TDC?)

Base timing varies per application, 0-10d BTDC

>4th gear switch:  Is it a switch?

Yes

>                  How many wires go to it?

One grounded when applied.

>neutral/park sw:  Ditto.

One wire, grounded in gear.

>VSS:              What is it?

Vehicle Speed Sensor,  2000 pulses per mile.  12V

>TCC:              What is it?

Torque Converter Clutch,  ecm grounds a solenoid to apply.

>O2 sensor:        Conventional O2 sensors put out 0-1 V. Is this
>                  the input to the ECU?

Yes

>What is the max rate of change of engine rpm?

600-6000 rpm in 2 sec.s in first gear.

>What kind of PC do you have?

IBM Comp.   Windoze 98.

>Hang with me on this. I know its a pain, but I can't read your mind.
>This way you get what you want instead of what I think you want.

Very Kewl, no problems here
Cheers
Bruce