ECM Tolerances? EEPROM PCM in LT1

Kurek, Larry LKurek at ocfexch2.ocf.anl.gov
Thu Aug 20 21:13:51 GMT 1998

Well, the 94+ EEPROM PCM's in the F-bodies have what is known as a
replaceable "knock module" which plugs into the PCM through an access
cover, similiar to the way old chips did. The KM is where the knock
filtering and conditioning occurs. What I tried was to switch modules
between the PCM's as well, and no major difference in results.

However, this issue goes WAY past just the knock retard issue in the
PCM. I can understand how controlled devices can give different results
by different programs in the PCM itself. However, why are the sensors
giving me different feedback as well? It isn't just a matter of degree,
like a voltage difference would provide, but an actual difference in the
characteristics of the curves resulting from the sensor output. For
instance, ho is it that my MAF sensor with the old computer would peak
out at around 230 gps at the rev limiter, while with the new PCM I'm
getting around 260? Same engine. Same sensor. Same weather conditions...
Unless there are production differences in the PCM where a certain
frequency input from the MAF is interpreted as one airflow rate vs
another...but I would think that is a software function anyhow.
Again...still searching.

Later,

Larry