Bosch LEAD PROOF O2 sensor

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Fri Aug 21 00:22:17 GMT 1998

>> BTW, its certainly not lead PROOF, merely more tolerant, but will
>> eventually clog.
>
>Can it be unclogged, perhaps by a period of lead-free use or heating in
>a gas flame?

I've heard that heating with an oxy can sometimes restore functionality,
but eventually the damage becomes permanent - OTOH, I haven't tried this
myself so I don't know for sure.  The LSM11 is sold as a 'heavy duty'
sensor, primarily for use in furnaces and the like (ie 'dirty'
environments) - well, that's what Bosch told me anyway.

>My only reason for using leaded fuel is to get the octane.
>
>(CAUTION: European octane ratings follow. Absolute values differ from US)
>
>Pump fuel here is 98 octane (super unleaded), 97 octane (leaded) and
>95 octane (unleaded).  The car will run on the latter, but uses a
>different map.  It theoretically needs 98 octane, but super unleaded
>is stupidly expensive.  So I used leaded, even though the car doesn't
>need the lead.

Interesting.....we have:

96(leaded, so called 'super')
96('premium' unleaded)
93('standard' unleaded)

These are the octane figures quoted to me by Shell technicians, but I've
also heard other variations.

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089