ox sensor on sequential efi,high overlap cam....

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Mon Dec 7 03:34:03 GMT 1998

I thought I'd post an exerpt from the Accelerated Motion web page  -
http://www.amotion.com/amcams.html#500
Hope it helps

Rick

Lobe Center Separation is as big a consideration as duration. This is what
determines how much valve overlap (the amount of the intake and exhaust
valves are open at the same time) your engine will have and what your vacuum
and idle quality will be. Street cams with wide lobe center separation (114)
will have a good idle, high vacuum, and a nice wide RPM range. Separations
closer to 108 (less separation means more valve overlap) will create
problems for some computer engine controls due to their rougher idle and
lower manifold vacuum. They have a shorter RPM range but produce much
stronger mid-range power with some improvement to the top end.
Now we get to valve lift. Many customers believe that the cam with the
highest lift will perform much better than a moderate lift cam. While it is
true that a high lift cam will provide better flow by getting the valve
further out of the way, there are limits to this as well as other
considerations.
First, high lift on a short duration cam would be very hard on the valve
train if it could keep the valve at the higher lift long enough to be
effective.
Second, high lift causes several problems in the valve train including valve
to piston interference (especially with narrow lobe separations), valve
spring retainer to valve guide/seal interference, rocker arm to stud
interference, and valve spring coil bind. Adjustable rocker arms are often
required to take up any clearance created when the valve is closed. All of
this must be checked and corrected before a high lift cam can operate
properly.
Finally, if you are using a cam with enough duration to make a high lift
effective, the usual limit for noticable improvement is reached when the
lift equals 25% of the intake valve diameter. This means that if your intake
valve diameter is only 1.84" you will get the best flow at only .460" lift.
Lifts higher than 25% of the valve diameter will add more duration at the
maximum flow point but excessive lifts will cause more problems than they
are worth in an engine that is not fully race prepared.
The bottom line on cam lift is that it is pointless to go overboard. All
newer designs have adequate lift for the operating range of the cam. The
minimal gains from an extra high lift cam are not worth the extra work in a
street vehicle.