water injection

James Montebello jamesm at talarian.com
Fri Dec 18 19:01:11 GMT 1998

F1 does use gasoline, and has since 1948.  What they call "gasoline"
sometimes varied considerably from what comes out of the local
pump, but it's supposed to be 104 RON unleaded gas, and they
test for this.  F1 cars also aren't turbocharged anymore, haven't
been for 10 years, so there's no problem with elevated temps caused
by boost.  When they ran turbos, water injection *was* used pretty
widely (at least up to about '85, when Williams was disqualified
one race because they refilled the water tanks prior to being
weighed at race end, raising the car to 20lbs over the minimum
weight from 10-15lbs under).  These engines all used gigantic
intercoolers, too.  When you're running 5 bar (72.5psi!) of
boost (as they did in the heyday of the turbo era), anything
you can do to prevent detonation is a Good Thing.  Getting
1500hp out of 1500cc is not an easy thing.

IndyCars (ChampCars, CART, whatever) all run methanol, and have
for decades.  A common (and more effective) alternative to water injection
is alcohol injection (actually, usually a mix), and
methanol *is* an alcohol.  I'm speaking over my head here, but
it may very well be that the evap cooling of methanol is so good
that water injection is simply superfluous.