water injection

Michael Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 18 19:11:40 GMT 1998

> IndyCars (ChampCars, CART, whatever) all run methanol, and have
> for decades.  A common (and more effective) alternative to
> water injection
> is alcohol injection (actually, usually a mix), and
> methanol *is* an alcohol.  I'm speaking over my head here, but
> it may very well be that the evap cooling of methanol is so good
> that water injection is simply superfluous.

Methanol has an "octane" rating of about 130, so detonation isn't
nearly as much of an issue as with gasoline.

Michael Kasimirsky            1990 Yamaha FZR400 Superbike Racer
Loki Motorsports              1993 Kawasaki ZX1100D1 Streetbike Rider
FASTTRAX & WERA Expert #21  Sponsored by Loki Motorsports, Bridgestone,
mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu        Street & Competition, and AGV.