water injection

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Sun Dec 20 22:52:48 GMT 1998

>Greg,
>
>not to bicker for too long on this, but
>

>> Cavitation is little bubbles of vapor (steam) in a lot of water collapsing.
>> When the bubble is bounded partly by a part (like a pump impeller) , the
>> impact of the large bulk of the liquid on the part after collapse of the
>> bubble is horrendous, and the culprit. Sort of the same process, but turned
>> inside out.
>
>Cavitation is a vaporization phenomenon usually due to local low
>pressures, such as in the wake of an impeller blade; what damages the
>solid the more is the *implosion* of those vapor bubbles close to the
>material, whence metal can be torn off by instantaneous depressurization
>when the bubble collapses; it is not the backlash shock of water
>re-settling close to the material. As for water droplet blasting, I
>wouldn't know, the instances I have seen showed corrosion at front and
>tips and erosion at the low pressure areas of the back?...

Typical engineer--back to English 101!! I think we are saying the same
thing with different words!

>> >Well here I must say that just as with NOx, it is a question of whether
>> >you want to have performance "on motor" or "anything goes". It flatters
>> >my ego more to kick a** on motor and controllers alone because I know I
>> >can do it again and again provided I keep my car in good tune, whereas
>> >this guy is a bit embarrassed when the bottle peters out or the mixture
>> >is nowhere to be found...
>>
>> ME TOO! But water is cheap and usually available--If it turns out that I
>> can get lower bsfc at cruise, longer engine life AND more HP, all on
>> cheaper fuel, I am ready to explore the possibilities, and then try it!
>> Pride has its limits!!
>>
>There is also something I have been wondering, what about the effects of
>minerals in water like Ca and Na? You would have to use distilled or at
>least demineralized water, right?

Thought I mentioned that a couple of days ago--but I think it is not TOO
critical, since the water (and hopefully about all of the minerals) is
going out the tailpipe. Getting the water feed rails too hot with too much
Ca or Mg in the water would definitely be a problem--it would certainly
precipitate out and plug 'em. Not quite a situation like a boiler tho,
where you have to blow down whatever minerals you put in periodically
because only steam is going out the other side.

Regards, Greg