VATS Bypass

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Dec 22 01:52:07 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Pilkenton <mpilkent at ptw.com>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, December 21, 1998 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: VATS Bypass

>Actually this is not the problem Bruce.

In your opinion.

  The ECM doesn't care if the >EGR is there or not , it's the fuel/air ratio
of mofdern day engines (I >believe about 14 to 1 vs 12 to 1 with older non
EGR engines) that >poses the problem.

Well on a late gm ecm can set a code, if the EGR diagnostics fail.
So the ecm does care, in this application.  In cruise the newer engines run
richer than the old.  The Cat Conv equipped engines
need to run at 14.7, and the pre converter engines can run leaner than that
in cruise.

>With this leaner mixture, the engines can run much hotter and rely on >the
EGR system to reduce this heat.  Without going into the >chemistry, the
exhaust gas recirculated into the intake not only >reduces emissions but
reduces cumbustion temperatures as well.

Yes, EGR reduces peak cruise combustion temps..
Nowadays they are also worried about pumping loses etc, so the
corrections on a late gm are to add, timing, and fuel, when the EGR is
applied..

>    So without the EGR, I must richen up the mixture (theoritically) to
>keep from burning up pistons.  I'm not an expert but this is what I've
>been told by several professional mechanics.

Talking generally about carbed cars that is correct.
Bruce