Electronic valve control

Carl Summers InTech at writeme.com
Thu Feb 12 22:22:55 GMT 1998

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >Only problem I see (or at least the first one) is CR. The volume of the
> >"port" in the cyl is added to the clearance volume.
>
> Good point.
>
> So, the next brainy off the cuff idea would be to have two holes at the top
> of the chamber, and the cylinder mates with either hole during the
> intake/exhaust strokes, and in between the chamber is sealed as the holes
> don't line up.
>
> Would have to radius all the edges to prevent detonation, and the material
> thickness of the top of the head where the cylinder rests would have to be
> awfly thin, otherwise as you said, it would add to the clearance volume.
>
> Good catch :)
>
> Frederic Breitwieser
> Bridgeport, CT 06606
> http://www.xephic.dynip.com/
>
> 1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
> 1989 4-Door Softtop Humvee (Hummer)
> 2000 Buick GTP (Mid-engine track car)
>
> ---

Hi,
  But what about bar stock (2 pcs one intake one exhaust), that is timed
with crankshaft, with part of it milled off to allow inlet air in(timed)
and exhaust out(timed).....the area of the milled spot would control
duration, and lobe center would be controlled by how you timed the two
"cams"....piston could be a flat top and chamber could be very small...I
don't know how well you can seal rotating parts under cylinder pressure
but I'm sure its possible...blah blah blah......
-Carl Summers