Variable Compression, Variable Displacement you decide

jb24 at chrysler.com jb24 at chrysler.com
Sat Feb 21 07:55:20 GMT 1998

Couple of more points about the operation of turbochargers.

1.  Turbos do work on the heat energy in exhaust to a degree.  It is
actually the pressure energy that high temp exhaust gases generate that
do the work.  The pressure ratio generated by the turbo compressor is
related to it's rpm, and turbo lag comes from the time needed to
accelerate the turbine to operating rpm.  At part throttle the exhaust
pressure is low, barely enough to overcome the drag of the turbo
bearings and keep the turbo spinning at a minimum rpm.  At idle, some
larger turbos don't spin at all.  When the throttle is whacked open,
the exhaust pressure builds and gets the turbo going from maybe 0 rpm
to operating rpm like 90,000-120,000 rpm in a second or two.  Therefore
if you are bogging the motor in top gear and whack the throttle, you
could get peak boost at very low rpm, assuming you stay at that rpm
long.

2.  Turbines are very efficient at energy conversion, somewhere between
70-80%.  Getting a clear picture of what is being converted is a little
harder.  That back pressure that spins up the turbo drops to only a few
psi across the turbo at full chat.  Also there is a substantial
temperature drop across the turbine.  A compressor will add temperature
above and beyond the heat of compression due to inefficiencies, and
take 20% more power than theoretically necessary to compress the
charge.  Now that is the difference between turbos and crank-driven
superchargers.  Turbos get that power by converting 80% of the exhaust
pressure into power to drive the compressor.  Crank-driven get all that
power from the crank, dumping all the energy of the exhaust down the pip
e.

John Bucknell is jb24 at chrysler.com
---------------------- Forwarded by John R Bucknell/JTE/Chrysler on

        owner-diy_efi @ efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu