Dwell and HEI's

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Sat Feb 21 07:58:51 GMT 1998

Sandy wrote:

> Well, sure if the modules are to be driven by standard GM reluctors and use
> a standard GM HEI coil, no problem. But since we (maybe just me) want to
> drive them digitally, and with a totaly different coil, it is something to
> concider. I really don't want the automatic dwell control, as I will have
> the CPU do it for me. I'm getting one tomorrow, and I'll smoke up a module
> and a dual post coil to test it out. Anyone have some starting point for
> duty cycles for testing?
>
> Sandy

Something seems too simple here, so pardon me if I've forgotten something
you've already mentioned.  The modules used in systems with ECM controlled
timing have an input for a digital signal.  I think some guys are calling them
4 pin types, I've always called them 7 or 8 pin types.  Anyway, apply 5 volts
to the "bypass" line and the module is ready to do your digital bidding. I am
thinking that it wouldn't need a signal voltage at the P and N terminals to
work.  Then again, I have gotten into more trouble by thinking...

Shannen