Adapter

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Thu Feb 26 02:47:27 GMT 1998

> Here's an idea to try:  get an IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector)
> male header with enough pins to fit the calpak, a 28 pin IDC DIP plug,
> and a short length of 28 wire ribbon cable.  Mash one end of the ribbon
> cable into the correct end of the header, the other end of the cable
> into the DIP plug.  The calpak fits into the header, and the DIP plug
> fits into your programmer's ZIF socket.  No soldering, bending pins,
> etching PCBs, or wiring wrapping.  In short, no muss, no fuss.

The above "bright" idea of mine turned out to be kind of a mirage.  For
some reason, the IDC DIP plugs are wired up in a mirror image.  Pin one
ends up being the second wire in the ribbon cable.  I had to slice the
ribbon cable into 14 two-conductor strips, and twist each strip by 180
degrees.

Plus, the longest header at the electronics surplus store was 64 pins,
two short of the 66 used by GM.  A 34 pin header with one end carved
open works fine though.  Overall my adapter looks fine, and best of all,
it works!

               unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
Ludis Langens     return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
ludis at cruzers.com            (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}