Burned up my first chip!

Gordon Couger gcouger at ionet.net
Tue Jan 27 22:34:58 GMT 1998

-

>Tony Cooper wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry Joe, but I just have to chuckle..... Reminds me of my first
>> 'burning chip'...hehehehehee
>>
>> Shouldn't laugh,
>
>Hey, that's the main reason why I told the story!  Thought you guys
>would enjoy my hearing about my *first* time.  Didn't expect all the
>help!

You'll burn a lot more before your done. Some are a lot more spectacular.
Like blowing a 5 amp FET of the board next to your ear or having
tantalum cap go up in flames.

One thing that help to prevent this is to use a current controlled power
supply the first time. Set the voltage and turn the current as low as
it will go. Power up the circuit and slowly increase the current. You
can catch it if it draws too much current.

Gordon

Gordon Couger
624 Cheyenne
Stillwater, OK 74075