72 Stang to EFI conversion

Scott Shotton stucky at interaccess.com
Wed Jan 28 02:20:13 GMT 1998

Tim Raymond wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I'm new to this list. I've been reading it for a couple weeks now and I
> could use some help. I'm in the process of trying to install a 5.0L
> HO from a 90 mustang in my 72. I've talked to the people at windsor-fox and
> they pointed out only a few mods that needed to be taken care of to get this
> thing to bolt in. My big problem is I don't know exactly what emmisions
> components I need in order to keep the computer from f-ing up. All I have
> now is the engine and anything attached directly to it. I don't currently
> have the computer or MAF sensor. I need to know if there are any other
> components that are not attached directly to the engine like the various
> solenoids, etc.. If anybody here has tried this and has any advice I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Tim

Lets start from the beginning...

A 90 5.0 is of the EEC IV vintage (OBDI).  You will obviously have 8
fuel injectors in the intake, a throttle position sensor on the throttle
body, and an intake air bypass valve on the plennum.  The other
important thing to have would be a MAP or a MAF.  The engine and air
temp sensors should also be on the engine.  The main sensors needed for
the fuel control would be TPS, MAP/MAF and ECT.  IAT may also
contribute.

The other components are optional to an extent.

The EGR valve and EVP or PFE sensor.  These items can be omitted but:
the computer will set a code and turn on the ck engine light.  The
computer may or may not retard ignition timing due to lack of EGR.  The
engine may or may not run hotter (probably not noticeable, only
combustion temperatures should be effected)

The thermactor air system.  If the engine has an air pump (some 90 5.0l
did, probably just trucks)  The pump, check valves, air tubes, TAB
solenoid, TAD solenoid, and muffler can go.  (the muffler for the air
vent).  The computer will set a code during the KOER self test and may
set a code while driving, but will not turn on the ck engine lamp or
cause any noticable drivability problem at all.

The canister purge system.  This could be eliminated without any
performance problems.  No codes.  No engine light.  Do you need CANP to
pass emissions tests for 72?

Oh Yeah!!  You'll need the oxygen sensor in the exhaust.  Very important
to closed loop operation and saving your pocket book from melting down
catalytic converters.

The power steering pressure switch could be eliminated, but you might
want this with power steering.

E-mail me if you have any specific questions

Scott