What SU stands for

Andrew W. Macfadyen am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 08:37:24 GMT 1998

Lucas real weakness was alternator; the ACR series tended to have a 40k mile life
without a rebuild partly the fault of the car manufacturers who under sized the
unit to cut costs and tried to compensate by using a smaller pullley to spin the
alternator faster. . Main land european cars tended to use much  higher rated
units. Most UK cars used a 35ACR   a 35 amp  rated alternator where a   German car
of the same size would use a 45 amp unit.  Worst was the UK version of the Chevette
only  had a 25 amp alternator -- it would fail to   meet the demand by about 5 amps
with all the lights and heated rear window on.
Starter were much the same the car manufacturers always under specified  for the
engine.