Chev HEI Distibutors

Heinrich Gerhardt hgerhardt at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 01:41:39 GMT 1998

Grant Gatenby wrote:

> What are the general opinions of these in stock form ?
>
> What RPM can they be considered to produce adequate spark till, and is there any necessity for a 3rd party coil to be fitted to them.
>
> Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated
>
> Cheers
>
> Grant

  I own a 66 GTO with a roller-cammed Pontiac 428 which makes about 550HP, and which I shift at 6500 RPM.  Until 3 months ago, I was
using an absolutely-stock HEI, including coil and module.  In this form, the car ran 12.2's at 115mph. (This car weighs about 4100 lbs
w/driver.)  I came across an MSD-6AL and Blaster coil for way cheap (free), so I installed it.  Performance? EXACTLY the same as before.
I suppose it could be argued that my engine doesn't make that much cylinder pressure, and therefore doesn't need that much spark energy,
but a stock  HEI certainly is adequate for this thing...
Good luck,
Heinrich Gerhardt (Mr. Goatwrench)