problems with GM TBI

peter paul fenske ffnsp955 at bcit.bc.ca
Mon Jun 15 22:12:00 GMT 1998

Hi Jeff

First off complete the swap. Got to a wrecker and grab
the aldl plug. Connect the serial data line ect to the
aldl plug from your ecm. Then you can use a scanner or
diacom to get a handle on what is going on.

Oh yes the CE lite goes from lite ign source 12V to one
of the ecm pins. ie ecm pulls lamp low. Usually the IP has
some spare lamps which can be pulled low.

Fast IDLE and failed smog test usually indicates backup mode.
This would normally be indicated by CE lite on.
And it would take a bit to reset. Co goes offscale
since backup mode is full rich.
Backup is engaged with a major failure in the system

IAC can gum up but idle response is usually slow along with
a surging idle. Unscrew the IAC motor and give everything
a good cleaning with carb cleaner. carefull not to unscrew
pintle.

But do complete the swap with the CE lite and ALDL plug.

gl:peter