KISS Fuel Injection via PIC. Any interest?

Simon Bosworth simonb at primenet.com
Sat Jun 27 00:02:28 GMT 1998

Hello all,
with all this sudden interest in PICs, I am wondering if anyone else
would be interested in a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) EFI based on a
16C73 PIC ?  I am planning to do one for my 74 MGB.  The 'design
guidelines' would be:

- To replace SU HS4/HIF4 carbs, which are pretty minimalist pieces of
equipment.
- Batch fired injectors.  Software would work for any number of cyls.
- Inputs would be TPS, Coolant temp, MAF or MAP, Air Temp ? and RPM
signal picked off distributor.
- Injector pulse width would be based on maps stored in EEPROM.
Possibly using byte-wide EPROM + some interface 'glue' chips to enable
the PIC to access 'external memory', which normally doesn't do.  If
processing time allows a serial EEPROM would make interfacing dead
simple.
- The chip includes a serial port to provide a handy 'user' interface.

This should be quite a simple system hardware wise.  It could be
prototyped on a SIMSTICK type board, ($6 from Wirz electronics).
The batch fire method removes the need for special pick-up wheels and
sensors; there is no need for synchronisation.
Use Sandy's very nice injector driver board for low impedance
injectors.  High impedance types would be simpler.

It should provide at least as good a performance as any analogue system
without any greater hardware complexity.

Potential points against such a system are:
- Developing the fuel maps may be a problem, at least for the first
person to try it for a particular engine :-)
- You may still need some sort of I/O board to condition the input
signals.
- Would it really be that much simpler and/or cheaper than the EFI332
system? and would it divert resources away from the EFI332 project when
it really needs all the help it can get?

Looking for feedback,
Simon

--
Simon Bosworth