Some VSS info&questions

Terry Sare Terry_Sare at dell.com
Wed Mar 4 14:53:18 GMT 1998

     1. Avoid DA and AD if possible -- they have a host of other gotchas
     and are not worth the cost and effort. If in digital domain, try to
     stay there.

     2. Divide by N counters are available -- don't have data books handy
     to look them up right now -- TI web site has ttl parts listed. Also,
     CMOS part, 4xxx series, will work on 12V. A flip-flop does a divide by
     2 each time. Most counters are simply flip-flops cascaded together --
     a 4 bit counter will divide by 16, 5 bit is 32, 6 bit is 64, 7 bit is
     128 and a 8 bit counter is 255. ( I think :-) need more coffee!)
     My Digikey catalog show CD4018 (divide by n), CD4020 (14 stage
     counter), CD4029 (counter), CD4060 (Counter), etc. They don't like
     static electricity so handle with ground straps only.

     3. PIC Stamp would also be a useful part for this. Easy to change the
     ratio when you change your gear ratio.

     I am going to face the same problem when I update my 68 to modern
     transmission so this mechanical info is verry helpful to me.

     ts