pining,twin plugging,etc...

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue Mar 10 05:32:42 GMT 1998

Carl Summers wrote:

> Bruce Plecan wrote:
> >
> > Which brings up an interesting point, when improving
> > ignition systems, sometimes you wind up running less
> > timing.  Which means there is a better flame/reaction
> > or it's burning faster initially?.  But, would that be a
> > indication of a better VE?.  According to some the ideal
> > plug gap would be .1", which would min the delay of the
> > flame getting to be a large enough kernel to burn quickly
> > though out the combustion chamber.
> >  Bruce   Safety alert:  don't try and dry your foil lined
> >               Cone Shaped Hats in a microwave. (specially
> >               if there are traces of gasoline on it).
>
> Hiya Bruce,
>     Is that what happened to my microwave???? but anyway.....The VE
> doesn't have anything to do with spark timing.(I know I'm going to get
> flamed on this one),,,,The quality of the quench and combustion chamber
> design has to do with the timing.....in the theory world if we have a
> faster burning fuel(less octane) we would theoretically produce max
> horsepower if we were to fire after TDC,,,,considering flame speed and
> combustion but all of us forget about stored load for which there is no
> known formula for in rotating mass(that I know of,,,,maybe next
> diy_efi?????)      When you push on a wall with 200lb's of force it
> pushes back with the same amount and yet it did not
> move,,,hmmmmmm,,,,but it is stored energy,,,,,same concept within an
> engine,,,we are all concerned with achieving maximum cylinder pressure
> at 15 ATDC,,,,nevermind I don't even want to get into this one,,,,,rod
> length/stroke/rpm/torque gets way to crazy for me tonight.....sorry for
> the babble........
> -Carl Summers

  I find this fascinating.  More, more.

If you push on the wall and it pushes back, but nothing moves, you've
created heat!  Energy dissipates into the air.  But I can never remember
this one.  Do low hp street engines run warmer or cooler when the timing is
retarded?  Think it's cooler until the engine is worked hard, then it has
to burn more fuel to make the same amount of power. (I could be out on a
limb here.).

Wouldn't stored load be called inertia?  I seem to remember doing some
inertia equations in a physics class.  Can't remember the equations but I
sure remember doing them.

Is there such a thing as a perfect combustion chamber shape?  Maybe for a
perfectly consistent fuel?

Is this enough questions?

Shannen