MSD Ignition

Michael J. Kupec mkupec at erols.com
Thu Mar 19 03:28:23 GMT 1998

Kevin,

Go with a MSD-6AL. Seal the aluminum plate on the bottom of the unit to the
unit itself with RTV and seal the wires coming out of the large gromet with
RTV.  That should make it as water/crud resistant as the MSD-6T version and
save you about $100. Also the rev limiting feature comes in handy when you
break a drive train component (keeps pistons in their cylinders! ;-) ) The
6T does come with weatherpack connectors, but are not really necessarry. I
run a 6AL on my 65 Mustang and a 6AL on my Bronco. The Bronco gets muddy as
all get-out when I go wheeling, I just spray the engine compartment down and
let it dry (the MSD is installed in the engine compartment). Also, all MSD
appear to be sealed inside with the same kind of potting compound. Those at
MSD claim the 6T has a "special" compound, but think about it, why have a
"special" compound for just one box/system out of all the other types they
sell? (ie: MSD-5, MSD-6A, 6AL, 7, 8, etc...)

Michael J. Kupec
mkupec at erols.com

I live with constant fear and danger every day...
    and sometimes she lets me go four-wheeling!

Get in, Sit down, Shut up, and Hold on!

Management & Data Systems, Lockheed Martin Corporation
Woodbridge, Virginia, USA (703) 680-6903
1970 Bronco w/351W (in a constant state of dissassembly/refinement...)
1964 1/2 260 Convertible  w/PS, PB, & Power Top
1965 289 HP "K" Coupe w/PS, PB, & Pony Int. (Early '65, not a GT)