Exhaust

Bernie Jacobsen bcjac at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 22 00:51:04 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Tyler <dcmckenna at worldnet.att.net>
To: DIY_EFI <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Saturday, March 21, 1998 2:06 PM
Subject: Exhaust

>Hello All,
>
>     I know this is a little off topic so please respond directly. I am
>installing a costom exhaust in a vehicle. I need a point of connection
>about 12" downstream of the manifold but there is no room for any kind
>of companion flange. My thoughts are to build a slip fitting with a
>spring holding both together. My question is, can this be ordinary sping
>steel or does it have to be a little more exotic due to contant, large,
>tempurature swings?

Being 12" from the LT1 exh. manifold I'm guessing the max temp could be over
600 deg. F, so yes, it does have to be a high temperature spring or it will
'relax'.
VW sand buggies use that set up on their 'bobcat' exhaust collectors,  so
you probably could go to your local bug / buggy shop and ask them for
replacement springs (they are probably available in chrome too)

^Bernie Jacobsen