DIS Explainations

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Mon Mar 23 03:19:12 GMT 1998

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 12:02:01 -0800 garfield at pilgrimhouse.com writes:
>On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:26:54 -0500, cosmic.ray at juno.com (Raymond C
>Drouillard) wrote:
>
>>To wire them in series, we would not be able to use the standard
>>autotransformer.  Instead, the secondary would have to float.  Also,
the
>>direction of the current would have to be reversed based on which plug
is
>>to be fired, since the plugs are designed to work with a specific
>>polarity.
>
>The plugs are indeed in series, and the secondaries are indeed floating!
>The prefered directionality of the plug is considered "round-off error",
>I imagine.
>
>Garfield

Maybe the box sends AC to the primary, which would result in AC at the
secondary.  We don't need no steenking polarity!

It reminds me of the time we were experimenting with DC motors in the
electromechanical devices class.  After working with induction motors and
synchronous motors, we were used to dealing with the power factor (cosine
of the phase difference between voltage and current).  After looking at
the equations, one of us asked "What about the power factor?"  We
scratched our heads...  Oh!  DC!  Duh!

By the way, what is this pointy hat deal?
How does one earn a pointy hat?  <:)

Ray Drouillard, BSEE