Injector shapes and spray patterns

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hpnfssvr.mdhc.mdc.com
Tue Mar 24 20:11:12 GMT 1998

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> ref Dan, and spray patterns:
>   There are three basic types of injectors (EFI) that I know of
> disc, ball, and pintle.  All three have one shape and that of a
> single cone.  The angle of the cone has a great deal to do
> with the applied pressure..  I've heard claims the disc have
> a better pattern, might be hyp cause they cost more.
>   I'd mount the injector(s) close to the turbo, so that the fuel
> they add can absorb heat and better vaporize..

I though about that as well but didn't know for sure if I should.
The engine currently has port injection which means it's a "dry"
intake manifold.  Putting the injectors in after the turbo would
wet out the manifold right?  Thought that may be a problem or will
it?

If I could find an injector that sprays out the sides, I could use
one on the middle of the manifold and arrange it so each jet points
to one of the pairs of intake runners.  If not, use a single one
over each pair.

I do like the idea of adding shortly after the turbo (or intercooler
if using one) though.  Would this necessarily be a problem for a dry
manifold?

>   Same for adding water, close to turbo...

On that subject, I was planning on water/alcohol injection as well.
Would doing this remove the need for an intercooler or just
supplement the use of one?

--Dan
houlster at bigfoot.com