Mileage with a Motor Home

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Mon Mar 30 22:29:39 GMT 1998

Eric Elliott wrote:

> Fuel mileage is not an inverse function of vacuum. The later GMD 4.3L
> engines use cam duration to decrease vacuum at low engine speeds for better
> economy. Less vacuum = less pumping loss. What other engines use this I
> don't know. I think it was Volvo that reportedly came near production with
> and engine that cut off fuel to cylinders to reduce power, causing near WOT
> operation at all times. Clean burn & less pumping loss were the goals.
> Uncomfortable uneven power pulsations were disadvantages. Remember the
> Cadillac 4-6-8 engine? Bet it didn't do much vacuum
> I run lean (stoich) @ 1000 to 2500 RPM idle to WOT in sustained operation.
> Engine doesn't mind, 700R4 doesn't last. Edelbrock 3500 EFI, ZZ3 roller cam,
> World products Sportsman heads, manual torque converter clutch switch. 350
> HP engine does about 1 MPG less than stock engine, but it doesn't do much
> vacuum.
>
> Eric

Fuel injection does change the possibilities. I assumed (possibly in
error) the MH was running a carbed 454. With carburetion, you will find
there are "rules" that hold almost universally - and low vacuum means
poor efficiency. When vac drops, power enrichment happens - the "vacuum
computer" that is a carb does not adaptively reprogram very well. When
too lean, power and vacuum drop.
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!