Holdens a little info

Danny Barrett danny_tb at postoffice.utas.edu.au
Sat May 9 08:26:32 GMT 1998

>From what I'm told, the 3L Nissan motor was actually designed in Australia,
by GM Holden engineers as a joint venture of Holden/Nissan. They were, of
course, built by Nissan, and they were discontinued be Holden mainly because
Nissan charged extortionate prices for them. Basically, they saw out their
contract of purchase to Nissan, and then went as quickly to the VN's V6 as
they could. At least, this is so I'm told. However, it would seem to be
true, as lmy Father was looking at puting one of the Nissan engines into his
HX Kingswood at one time, and at the Holden spare parts place, they told him
$9000 for a short motor from the VL Commodore, and then they said that he
would be better to go to a wrecker and get one. As it turned out, he would
heve had to make engine bay mods to get it in, so he didn't bother. As for
the V6 - Yes, it's a Buick, although I don't know what, exactly, but I'm
told that it is a re-hash of an **OLD** engine (hence, the pushrods). As for
the Ecotec V6... It's a completely redesigned engine, so I'm told (by a guy
at the showroom a couple of years ago). Apparently, both the bore and stroke
are different, there are more aerodynamic inlet, and exhaust manifolds,
etc... Basically, it is a completely new engine, within the old casting, or,
at least, so I'm told.

Danny Barrett.