ION and EGOR

max maxboost at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 03:19:20 GMT 1998

> > Gotcha covered again. Good point on the multiple
> > sensor business. BTW,
> > do any production cars ever come this way with duals
> > on exh and sensor?
> > Just wonderin if there are stock ECMs available to
> > scan two sensors.
> > Heh, not sure what they'd do, control mix on each bank
> > separate (:o) or
> > what, but it's an interesting question.
>
>   Not a per-bank thingus (IIRC), but the Nissan 300ZX has 2 EGO's:
> 1 Before Cat & 1 After Cat.  I dunno what they are supposed to do
> (cept maybe tell the mechanic that you bypassed the cat!)

Actually the early '90-95 300ZX used 1 O2 sensor per bank and the ecu
treated it as two 3 cyl engines for mixture control.  The '96 model uses 2
O2 sensors per bank, 1 before and 1 after each cat.  This monitors cat
efficiency over time to determine if it fails.  In fact all OBD-II cars are
required to have an after cat sensor.  This is how the get 100,000 mile
warranty's these days.  Nissan also has a V8 that has 1 O2 sensor per bank
in the Infiniti Q45 engine.  The post '96 models run 4 O2 sensors.  This
engine also runs as 2 4 cyl engines in regards to mixture control.

Max