Toyota DIY'er/trans computer

AL8001 at aol.com AL8001 at aol.com
Thu Nov 12 01:16:11 GMT 1998

In a message dated 98-11-07 17:20:30 EST, clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net writes:

>> New ones use a torqueflite with modified governor. Older ones used that
>> 340 french "fire and forget" thing. maybe there was some other back in the
>> american motors era...
>No Toyota ECT in Jeep up to 1989 for sure - and I am ALMOST 100% sure
>there never has been.

Just talked to the Jeep Cherokee owner,  It's a 89 model year, 4.0 Straight 6,
it does have a Toyota 4 Runner auto trans.  He says the Toyota computer has a
few more inputs not used on the Jeep.

I had suggested he get a Toyota computer and one from a 4 cyl Jeep so we can
compare bins.  He is looking for a higher shift point.

BTW this Jeep has a Paxton super charger + mild cam + ported head + larger
injectors.  The stock Renix ( french) ecu is still on the truck, he uses a
rising rate fuel reg to control the fuel curve.  I have never driven this
truck, so can't say how it runs.

Harold