[Fwd: New member needs help]

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Thu Nov 19 00:45:03 GMT 1998

Jason...........You might want to examine your distributor very closely.
The early 90's distributors of that style were prone to a number of maladies
which tended to create the exact symptoms you have described, since their
"Reference Signal" is the heartbeat of the entire fuel injection system.

In this order..............1) run the car with the EST timing connector
disconnected and note whether or not an improvement exists.    2)  examine
the timing mark, with a timing light,  both with and without EST connected.
Is the timing stable?   3)  with the EST disconnected, and while watching
the timing mark with a timing light, look for an ever so slight timing
advance with increasing RPM.  Then look for a gross timing shift of +6
degrees at 2000 RPM or less.  If the timing initially retards,  or
experiences the gross shift at more than 2000 RPM, then your distributor is
bad.   4)  if all of these checks are okay, then your distributor is okay,
and your problem is elsewhere.

Stay in touch..............