scan tools and WOT

Stuart Bunning stuart at kenelec.com.au
Wed Oct 14 01:31:42 GMT 1998

Hi all

I have read somewhere when you hook up a DELCO ECM to a scan tool
when using a 808 for example 160 Baud ALDL. with the engine running you
should not give it WOT or drive it with anything other then a very light
foot on the gas. The only reason why i can see this being a problem is that
apparently in ALDL mode it puts the ECM into a fixed degrees BTDC timing
valus and ignos the MAP for altering timing  ?? This would render scan tools
to useless to anything other then idle and light cruise.

Now this may vary with different model ECM's and memcals but I think it is
the case with the 160 Baud 808 ECM' s in australia.

Best Regards,

STUART BUNNING
SALES ENGINEER
KENELEC PTY LTD