High idle after start

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Wed Oct 14 14:01:24 GMT 1998

This is interesting to me as I have a Saturn that is screwing up (efi
problems I believe) and the main symptom is very low idle.  I got IAC codes
from the ECU and (being very new and obviously ignorant of these little
critters) jumped out and bought another IAC.  Didn't do squat.  I've checked
for vacuum leaks (spraying starting fluid all around the injectors, manifold
plenum, vacuum lines, etc.  Nothing.  I believe this system is a MAP based
system.

It runs great, accelerates and top ends best of all its range.  Coming to a
stop it does OK until you fully stop and sit there a minute.  Then the idle
drops down to 300 and the car dies shortly after.  I've tried increasing the
idle by turning in the idle screw (1- 1.5 turns) - nothing.  More than that
and it really starts running bad.  I can keep it running by holding my foot
on the gas while holding the brake on with the car in gear.  But this causes
the car to heat up very quickly.    Also, as it sits around 1000 rpms
(running steady at first) the longer I have to sit at a light the more it
starts jerking (like missing).  It is now starting to do this a bit during
50-60 cruise also.  Minor at these speeds but wasn't there a day or so ago.

As a side note (and I have no idea if this has anything to do with the
problem) I'm losing water (not much but a little).  Could be going out the
overflow from the heat ups.  Not sure.  I'm not leaking it.  That I do know.

Yea I could take it to a shop and get it fixed.  But if I'm going to try to
modify one of these things I have to know how it works.  And I should be
able to diagnose problems with it.  Otherwise how will I be able to tell
what to change?  So, any help would be appreciated.

Rick J