Renault F1 V10

Michael Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 1 18:18:26 GMT 1998

> >According to F1 regulations, the gasoline used in F1 cars is
> pump quality
> >petrol and to be legal for use, has to be sold at the pump.
> Since no after-pump
> >additives are allowed, this is usually 108 octane or better
> UNLEADED gasoline.

While this may be the regs, I don't think it's reality.  For example, a
top-line AMA or WSB-spec Superbike (750cc, 4-cylinder) uses about
40 degrees of ignition advance to get power out of the engine at 14,000
rpm
or so.  Now optimum power comes with 10 degrees or so of ignition
timing, but you can't do this with "normal" gasoline.

Now the F1 guys have developed fuel, called "gasoline," that allows them
to run
10-12 degrees of advance at 17,000 rpm and make piles of power.  My
understanding
is that it's a concoction of Benzene, Tolulene, etc. and other nasty
stuff that isn't usually
a large part of pump gas.

It may be lead-free, but it's not pump gas.