Non-GM knock sensor Q//Plug Readings

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Sep 2 19:50:47 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank F Parker <fparker at umich.edu>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Wednesday, September 02, 1998 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: Non-GM knock sensor Q

>> >I'm intrigued by the phrase "or seen in plug cuts"; what does a plug
>> >shown when there's been knocking?
>> >

>> Looks like little tiny fly turds on the center porcelan.  Just about
>> need a magnifier/jeweler's loupe to see em.  May also look
>> kinda like pepper flakes, real fine.
>> Cheers
>> Bruce
>>
>Bruce,
>
>Is this true for unleaded gas- in other words are the flakes lead
>deposits?

Actually it's aluminum, off the piston dome.   I heard a real good
explaination of it one time, but the ole gray matter is sufferin some,
BUT, the world ionization was mentioned several times........

With lots of practice ya can read it in any common fuel.  Did some
Alky motor stuff, and it showed up there to.  FWIW, some fuels
make it harder to see, ie Shell, with the Mangese, if they still use
that stuff (pinkish tones to center porcelian).  Might also look for
corners of the center electrode rounding quickly (Autolite's seem
to least have this problem).
Cheers
Bruce            Ya can't get Bashful outta the car when he hears the
                      words High Gear Plug Cuts.  Usually rough things
                      out in 1:1, and then go final in OD.