Turbocharging a CMFI engine

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Fri Sep 11 06:18:07 GMT 1998

Hi, Mike.

I've had a fair amount of these induction systems apart in Astro vans.
GM had a bit of trouble with them at first, with injectors sticking open
and regulators failing.
The helms manual may show you 55 psi as a reference #, but believe me
these babies don't run well at 55 psi, and not at all at anything lower.
I've wasted many hours trying to get them to fire with 55 psi of
pressure.  Generally, you'll find pressures around 60 psi.

The poppets...  The poppetts are designed so that fuel pressure forces
the ball off the seat, allowing flow to the nozzle.  Any pressure on the
outside of the poppet should work to force the ball against the seat,
and increase the fuel pressure needed to open it.  I think that the
vortec 350 had similar poppetts, although the injector is different.
But the 350 probably flows the same amount of fuel as the 4.3.  There
may be additional or stronger crimps needed on the injector to poppet
lines.

I'm going from memory here, but I believe that the regulator is similar
to TBI types, in that it has a spring in a can against a diaphragm.  You
might talk nicely to a Chevy/GMC dealer and see if you can find a bad
injector to play with.  A slightly creative guy may be able to remove
the can and increase fuel pressure with shims. Or reduce it, even put in
a "slug" in place of the spring, and mount a more familiar type
regulator on the return line external to the manifold.  Find a picture
of a 96 vortec 454 regulator. It's not mounted to the fuel rail.  Is
increasing fuel pressure across the board a viable alternative to larger
injectors?

Shannen