Tech info

ChrisGano at aol.com ChrisGano at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 00:53:56 GMT 1998

Hi everyone,

I am going to be tearing into a new 1999 Chevy 1500 P/U with the new 5.3L V-8.
I know that it is based on the corvette LS1 motor.  I am seeking info about
how to work around the EEPROM and reprogramming the damn things, I also need
some tech info on the operations of O2 sensors.  The engine will be converted
to E85 and I wonder how the extra Oxygen in the ethanol affects the O2 sensor.
It seems that since gas doesn't have Oxygen, and Ethanol does, then there
would be an abundance of O in the exhaust.  Since the O2 sensor would likely
read too much O, and 'theoretically', the only supply of O is from the
incoming air charge, it would tell the PCM to deliver more "gas".  Thereby
causing the engine to run rich all the time when operating on ethanol.  Can
anyone support my logic?

Thanks,
Chris Gano
chrisgano at aol.com