assmeblers and disassemblers

Mike Dillon mdill at lsil.com
Thu Sep 24 17:47:30 GMT 1998

I think I would re-phrase "and converts it to something that you and I can
 understand" to "something yuo and I can read" understanding what is going
on is the tough part. The output of the disassembler may or may
not be correct depending on where in the binary you start it and stop it,
it does not know code from data and will be just as happy trying to
tell you that  the entry in a data table of "08FF" is LDA $FF. By running
a few passes of the disassembler and looking at the output and beating
your head on the wall and spending 10X the time you thought it should take,
understanding will slowly come. After working with a certain proccessor for
a while you will be able to start seeing things in the binary and dissassembler
listings at a glance that took so long to see the first time though.

Mike D.