One Bar?

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Sat Sep 26 03:29:27 GMT 1998

Close but no cigar.  The correct SI unit of pressure is a Pascal which is 1
Newton per square meter.  A Newton is as you indicated, and is a pretty
small force about 0.224 lb.  A square meter is pretty big so a Pascal is a
really low pressure.  It is more convenient to use kiloPascals or kPa.  1
bar is 100 kPa or 100,000 Newtons per square meter and is 14.5 psi which is
conveniently close to the old European unit of pressure, kg per square cm,
which isn't really pressure at all,  which is why Europeans use bar for
pressure.  Canadians and Australians converted to metric later so they carry
no such evolutionary baggage and use kPa.  I wish we could get on the metric
wagon.