1100cc motorcycle injectors?

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Sep 28 00:32:27 GMT 1998

>i plan to use a MAP setup, of course.  my bike is a 16-valve 1100cc four.
>it's a 1980 suzuki GS1100LT with about 45K on the clock, and revs
>to about 9,000 although i've never gone past 7,000.  does anyone have
>information or links for reprogramming early-80s volvo LH-jetronic?
>i like this setup because it is fuel control only, not ignition, and
>is cheap.  i just dont know how to program it.
>
>I have no idea what size or make of injectors to use (anyone have a set
>for sale?)  and i'm also wondering if using higher flow fuel injectors
>(like those for a 2000cc engine) at low fuel pressure is a possible
>solution, since i can't think of any applications for a 1.1L EFI engine.

I'd like to do a similar EFI conversion on me '81 GSX1100 (may have been
designated GS1100 in the States).  Rather than adapting a system from a
car, I was looking at getting the complete EFI system from a (circa) 1983
Kawasaki GPz1100.   With the engines being of virtually identical size, the
standard Kwak injectors should work OK on the Suzi engine (changing the
fuel pressure should be sufficient to handle any performance variations).

In the little I've been able to do on this project, I've found a couple of
potential problems:

1. the Kwak throttle bodies use a totally different attachment system to
the head compared to the Suzi - IOW, some machining may by required.

2. the Kawasaki EFI system did not have a good reputation for reliability,
with many people retro-fitting carbs when problems arose (mainly because of
the expense of the EFI parts, I suspect).  From what I have been able to
find out, most of the problems occurred with the ECU.

Cheers

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089