VSS importance

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Sep 28 22:32:12 GMT 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: jdzura at csc.com <jdzura at csc.com>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Monday, September 28, 1998 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: VSS importance

OK, next question, where does one find application notes on a
4046, or CD4046BC?.  Can a CD4046BC be used in lieu of a 4046?.  Can someone
scan an application note, send it to me, and I'll get a 2x done so we can
put it at 332 incoming so, all can find it.  Questlink/National don't have
them.
If ya can't scan, can you send me the exact address,  mom + pop
bright.net still are playing games, and searching is next to impossible.
Cheers
Bruce

>The problem with doing a one-shot solution is the analog nature of the
frequency
>multiplication. Over time and temperature there will most likely be
problems. The
>classic way to do this is to implement a phase locked loop with a divide by
2
>(D-FF) in the feedback path to the phase comparator. The output of the PLL
before
>the flip flop will be exactly 2x the input frequency. I  can't remember the
>series, but there used to be a 4000 series Cmos PLL that had great
application
>notes.
>
>The other purely "digital" way requires an oscillator to run a series of
Flip
>flops that can be used to do the 2x frequency multiplication. This is
essentially
>a zero order PLL. In either digital case, the circuit will take a few chips
and
>some additional power. I believe I have read where someone sells an adapter
for
>$50-60 already done. If it has been done and is only $50, you should
probably buy
>it. Designing one will probably cost at least half that by the time you
consider
>packaging, connectors, and a wirewrap board. Just my humble opinion and I
have
>been an electronic designer for more than 15 years. If you still insist,
let me
>know, and I will look up the reference to the cmos PLL chip. CMOS has the
>advantage of being run from 12 VDC and won't incur the overhead of voltage
>regulation.
>
>Joe D
>

>"Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net> on 09/28/98 01:48:00 PM
>
>Please respond to diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu