VSS importance

Stowe, Ted-SEA StowT at PerkinsCoie.com
Mon Sep 28 22:10:49 GMT 1998

you might try US Speedometer, they sell a 110S O -2 or -4 (2000 pulses or
4000) pulses), adapter in either a closed end or open end configuration
110S o or c, for $99.00, 3 leads, +12 , gnd, and signal.
for standard 7/8 speedo cable.

this unit does not require the trigger from the instrument cluster.

the tech guy there is named Gene, and I just can't put my finger on their
800 number. I will email it when I get home.

-----Original Message-----
From: jdzura at csc.com [mailto:jdzura at csc.com]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 1998 1:50 PM
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: VSS importance

The problem with doing a one-shot solution is the analog nature of the
frequency
multiplication. Over time and temperature there will most likely be
problems. The
classic way to do this is to implement a phase locked loop with a divide by
2
(D-FF) in the feedback path to the phase comparator. The output of the PLL
before
the flip flop will be exactly 2x the input frequency. I  can't remember the
series, but there used to be a 4000 series Cmos PLL that had great
application
notes.

The other purely "digital" way requires an oscillator to run a series of
Flip
flops that can be used to do the 2x frequency multiplication. This is
essentially
a zero order PLL. In either digital case, the circuit will take a few chips
and
some additional power. I believe I have read where someone sells an adapter
for
$50-60 already done. If it has been done and is only $50, you should
probably buy
it. Designing one will probably cost at least half that by the time you
consider
packaging, connectors, and a wirewrap board. Just my humble opinion and I
have
been an electronic designer for more than 15 years. If you still insist, let
me
know, and I will look up the reference to the cmos PLL chip. CMOS has the
advantage of being run from 12 VDC and won't incur the overhead of voltage
regulation.

Joe D

"Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net> on 09/28/98 01:48:00 PM

Please respond to diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu