VSS importance

T Hergen thergen at svn.net
Mon Sep 28 22:05:27 GMT 1998

If the ecm doesn't care about the duty cycle, you may be able to use
something simple (view with fixed width font):

                                  ________
                                ) )       )
   in     -----o-----------------) )       )
               |                  ) )       )---------- out
               |           ------) )       )
               |           |    ) )_______)
               |           |      poor excuse for a 74hc86 xor gate
               |           |
               -/\/\/\/----o----|(--- gnd

    Output will generate a pulse for each edge on the input.
    This doubles the average frequency.  The duty cycle will
    not be 50-50.

The input signal should be buffered by one of the other four gates
in the 74hc86 package.

I haven't taken the time to calculate the resistor and cap values,
but can if you're interested.

Tom