EFI Head Volume

Mark Romans romans at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 7 04:54:31 GMT 1999

Hi Bruce:
Lingenfelter's book on modifying small block chevy engine's on page 47-48
says that "A performance piston-to-head clearance is usually between .040
and .045 inch. This quench area is too small to support combustion, service
instead a more useful function. As the piston approaches top dead center,
this tight area tends to squirt or squish the air/fuel mixture in this area
into the open combustion space. This violent action produces turbulence that
acts like a very efficient blender. This blending action helps homogenize
the air-fuel mixture and supports more efficient combustion.  Dyno testing
has proven that improving the piston-to-head quench area from .060 inch to
.045 inch will improve power even when the compression ratio remains the
same.  It is even possible to optimize the quench and increase compression
without suffering detonation problems! This is because improving the
homogenization of the mixture in the chamber reduces the tendency for lean
areas in the chamber to promote detonation. "

I have my piston to head clearance set at .039 inch!
11.0 to one with efi, aluminum heads and 92 octane unleaded!
Mark