Frederic's radiator cooled intercooler.

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Apr 23 04:11:33 GMT 1999

Ken Kelly wrote:

> Everyone should visit Rheinbeck Aerodrome once in there
> lives. Real airshows put on with pre WW-I airplanes. I saw
> them fly a 1908 plane with a Radial engine. The crankshaft
> bolted to the plane. The propellor was attached to the
> engine crankcase. The whole engine spun around for cooling!!
> Each cylinder had an exhaust pipe about 10" long with no
> mufflers. Wildest thing I ever saw or heard.
>
>                 Ken
Ya.. throttle control was nonexistent on that plane.  The pilot had a
switch for something like 50%, 75%, and 100% power.  The switch shuts
off the spark to certain cylinders, and the pilot continually toggles
between the three settings.  Announcer said "a lot more of these
planes went down in flames than went down from enemy fire."

Rhinebeck's a great place.
Shannen