1227730/16196344

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Apr 26 13:33:26 GMT 1999

> The 16196344 was also used in the ~88 Chev Celebrity 3.1 V6 multi port inj, I
> have one ( ECM ) sitting on my desk.  It also has a GM reman sticker on it.

The interior mounted 16196355 ECM I got out of the Beretta has the GM
reman sticker on it, where as the exterior (engine compartment)
mounted version of the 1227730 ECM does not.  I figured it didn't
matter, right? LOL

> Many V6 cars of this era were factory converted from MAF to MAP.  All of the
> wireing was there and only required a mamcal swap.

I am waffling between MAP/MAF myself... the particular wiring
harnesses I snagged (I have four at this point) are wired for MAP
only... however since I'm wiring the whole truck front to back from
scratch, using snippets of various wiring harnesses I've yanked, what
I will be doing is mixing the leads from different ECM harnesses
together so every pin on whichever ECM I use will be connected to the
harness, to a large terminal block.  This way, I can change the code
and not worry about not having enough wires down the road.

> The 89 Beretta 2.5L 4 cly is a single point TBI / MAP car, any chance it was
> a 2.3 Quad 4?   Sounds like the 16196344 could be a universal ECM.

I am not sure what was in the Beretta, it was upside down, no engine,
no doors (i.e. no engine size labels sticking anywhere), and I don't
want to guess.  It is true that the 16196344 (later version of the
1227730) was used in a lot of vehicles...

One of the new options I have, which Dr. Plecan turned me onto, is to
utilize a Sy/Ty ecm (1227749) and merely "throw" it into V8 mode
rather than V6 mode.  Quite honestly, it doesn't matter to me which
ecm I use, as long as the code can be leached from somewhere, or
modified with software VERY easily.  PromEdit, as nice as it is, just
seems to display hex codes, which doesn't mean a lot to me at this
point.  For 7749 ECM there is a "Programmer98" which I downloaded last
night to take a looksee... Java application which enables us to edit
the ECM's parameters in a major way, with a GUI interface.

oh well :)

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport CT 06606

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HWMMV w/turbocharged 500cid Caddy
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab soon to have 431 stroker + turbos
2000 (I hope) Buick GTP (Mid-Engined Sports Car)