QNX Floppy Tools? (Was DIACOM)

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Thu Dec 2 20:54:10 GMT 1999

Previously, you (DIY_EFI Digest) wrote:
{
{ 	RE: QNX Floppy Tools? (Was DIACOM)
{ Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 02:28:52 -0800 (PST)
{ From: Jon Watts <jonwatts at yahoo.com>
{ Subject: RE: QNX Floppy Tools? (Was DIACOM)
{
{ > From: "Jim Velasquez" <jimvela at ibm.net>
{ > Subject: QNX Floppy Tools? (Was DIACOM)
{ >
{ > The QNX Demo Disk is one of my favorite examples of a small,
{ > focused embeddable product! (That, and the Linux Router Project's
{ > single-disk, run-from-ram concept).
{ - -------------

 Yeap one of the best ways to gain public mindshare.

{ QNX is way too expensive for any kind of hobbyist to use (thousands
{ of dollars for a development license).

 What I had in mind was a graphical user interface, on a reliable os
running from a single floppy, on most (read old 386 up) laptops. The
expensive part may be changing soon.

 The serial engine reads a plain text aldl description file ( expandable
w/o requiring a big dev. kit) and the ability to save logged data

{ The design is very simplistic

 I think the company line is elegant 8*)

{ (in a good way) but it mostly finds it way into video poker machines
{ and such.

I am working on it at work ( I'm a programmer at QNX)

{
{ What I'm surprised at is that there's not more talk of Linux on this
{ list.

 there has been alot of times linux has come up, I used it for years, it's
good stable BUT I work at qnx and my play at home helps me at work

{ By itself it could handle an EFI system and host it's own
{ analysis software. With real-time Linux (www.rtlinux.org) this is now
{ a certainty. Sooner or later someone will build a PC-104 (or smaller)
{ EFI unit.

 Al Lipper designed a pc based efi, and the pc104 bus is just an isa bus
with a funky connector( there is some minor electric differences but don't
worry) and you can buy pc104 protocards (expensive). what I did was add
a mini isa slot to a laptop using Al's pc-efi and ran it under QNX ( once
again the main reason was size (ruled out M$), speed (same thing), and
reliability. the choices I had was QNX (free from work) or Linux

{
{ This would be a great project, but by the time you're done you could
{ easily have bought an Electomotive or MoTec setup. Unless Lego comes
{ out with EFI sensors for the Mind Storm....... :)
{
{
{ =====
{ Jon
{ Do You Yahoo!?
{ Thousands of Stores.  Millions of Products.  All in one place.
{ Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com
{

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8